Servo Feed Drives
How many feed drive styles does Novo Precision offer?
We offer five (5) types of drives. Three of the types are medium and heavy-duty roll type drives which may employ either 2, 4, or 6 drive wheels. One is a light duty synchronized dual motor precision 4 wheel drive. The last type of drive is a tractor, belt, or caterpillar style.
What are the application differences between the available drives?
Usually the 2, 4, and 6 wheel drive types are utilized when the application does not require precise directional, speed, or length control. These are usually employed for applications requiring simple high speed and long length cutting applications.
- The tractor style drive is an excellent method for feeding narrow strip, tubing, precious metals, or sometime multiple lines of material.
- The precision dual motor synchronized drive unit is applied to applications involving very small wire or applications where precise speed and feed accuracy is important.
How many different control & softwares packages does Novo Precision offer with their feed drives?
Novo Precision offers three (3) different packages: Basic, Standard, and Advanced, or SF2.
Are servo feed drives a better choice for cut to length systems?
Not necessarily. Servo feed drives are ideal feed units for cut to length systems when the lengths of wire to be cut are normally over 1 ft (4.7 cm). Servo feed drives make it easier to change lengths due to their programmable capability. For very fast short cut length applications a pneumatic based feed device is much better.
What are the features that should be available in a good servo control software package?
A good software package for servo feed control should give you the maximum amount of feed control capability as possible. Here is a checklist.
- Two feed directions – forward / reverse
- Programmable feed speeds
- Separate “ramp up” and “ramp down” ( acceleration ) speeds for each direction
- Be able to combine several different lengths, speeds, and direction changes
- Contain the ability to read and act upon up to six (6) I/O signals
- Be programmable and display data in either English or Metric notation
- Be programmable to act independently or as the “slave” to another controller
- Be able to provide “counts” or pieces / feeds as well doing “batch” sequences
- Contain password protection for sensitive program elements
- Program storage
- Multiple step program menu