Novo Precision has a very large installed base of turnkey systems involving the processing, assembly, or fabrication of products utilizing fine wire, narrow strip, small tubing and other linear materials—some as small as .004” or 0.1 mm. Many of the component innovations developed for specific application functions have become standalone products.
Novo’s turnkey systems can perform tasks including precise feeding, marking, welding, staking, riveting, straightening, gauging, rewinding, annealing, inspecting, sorting, stamping, cutting, batching, orienting, forming, dispensing, cleaning, assembling, molding, and packaging.
Many of our turnkey systems employ items from our line of servo-based feed and control packages, which ensures a proven and reliable platform.
Additionally, we may employ equipment from select business partners whose line of products complement our own and are fabricated to the same high quality standards.
Our systems are not limited by material types, as we have delivered machines to work with exotic materials such as diamond-coated wire, tungsten, platinum and Nitinol as well as the more basic metals such as brass, copper, aluminum, and stainless steel.
Dual Belt Tractor Feed arranged to feed and straighten 3 wires simultaneously with variable speed and loop control
Novo Precision has installations in markets including electronics, medical, aerospace, electrical, spring, dental, fastener, automotive, and appliance industries, specializing in applications that involve small wire, thin strip and tubing processing. Below are some of the market applications for Novo Precision’s turnkey systems.
Electrical (System Type: Series HD Servo)
- Application Description: A manufacturer of track lighting assemblies needed to be able to cut to length .200” x .010” copper strip and put a notch cut at each end. The cut length varied from 24” to 120” and the volumes changed daily.
- System Function: A standard series PFC (programmable feed and cut) servo-driven system had a special stamping head integrated into it to produce the desired cut shape. The strip was paid-off, flattened, and fed to the desired length. The system’s maintenance counter was used to establish tool sharpening times.
Medical (System Type: Colombi C413T)
- Application Description: A systems integrator required an economical way of obtaining and then inserting fully tested springs for a medical syringe assembly application. The assembly line could produce three different syringe sizes.
- System Function: A standard Colombi series C413T CNC-based spring coiler formed, fully tested, separated, and delivered a spring directly to the assembly point. The CNC-based system was able to store the three different spring size parameters and load them on command.
Automotive (System Type: Series HD Servo)
- System Function: Novo Precision used its standard series PFC (programmable feed and cut) servo-driven system and integrated a special bending head extension. The operator could either enter a desired length and quantity or produce a batch of cut pieces with varying lengths and quantities. The PLC allowed for either remote (slave) operation or automatic modes.
- Application Description: An OEM machine supplier needed a simple-to-operate straight, feed, cut, and right angle bend system to supply parts for an assembly line they were building in China. The piece length varied so the system had to be able to make whatever length required. The system utilized our standard software and control package.
Electronic (System Type: SBT Modular)
- Application Description: An electronic contact needed to be made in a continuous strip so it could be fed into a separate assembly system. The contact needed to be stamped out, have a contact element welded onto it, and have the center portion molded in plastic.
- System Function: The modular design approach of the SBT product is ideal for this application. The system had a strip payoff, two-stage stamping head, a welding head, and a special over-molding station where 10 contacts would be molded at a time. The special over-molding station saved having to run the strip through a second operation.
Dental (System Type: Novo Precision Special)
- Application Description: A nickel strip used for making inductive laminates used in dental tools needed to be annealed within a 4-foot space at a rate of at least 30 FPM.
- System Function: A special three-pancake payoff guided three .187” x .010” nickel strips through a Thermcraft oven at a rate of 10-15 FPM. The strips were held under tension so that they passed through the oven equally spaced and within the oven center line. An inductance reader monitored the strips so corrections could be made.
Ship Building (System Type: HD Servo)
- Application Description: A manufacturer of water distribution systems for commercial building and shipping industries needed a fast, accurate and length-versatile system to straighten and cut the .250” diameter aluminum alloy hinge rods for their variously sized control boxes up to 40” wide.
- System Function: A standard series PFC (programmable feed and cut) servo-driven system with a 6-wheel drive, AB controls, and Novo Precision operating software was used as the basis of the system. A Spectral brand series 3200 payoff was used to control wire feed in. The system was able to straighten and cut the 40” lengths at a rate of 20 ppm and provide a burr-free end, which eliminated the need to chamfer the rod.
Wire (System Type: SF2 Series Servo)
- Application Description: A producer of tungsten wire had a requirement to supply cut-to-length pieces rather than whole spools of material. The cut pieces were required to be free of dimensional errors and internal voids.
- System Function: A standard SF2 series PFC (programmable feed and cut) dual-axis servo-driven system with Novo Precision operating software was used as the basis of the system. The wire was fed through both a laser micrometer and eddy current device to check for out-of-spec values. Any defective sections were “tracked” through the system and cut pieces made from out-of-spec material were directed to a separate location, thus sorting good product from bad. The wire cutter machine utilized the advanced software and control package.